Jaggery/Gud is a traditional non-centrifugal cane sugar consumed in some countries in Asia and the Americas. It is a concentrated product of cane juice and often date or palm sap (see: palm sugar) without separation of the molasses and crystals, and can vary from golden brown to dark brown in colour.
1. Prevents constipation: Jaggery activates the digestive enzymes in the body, stimulates bowel movements and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation. Constipation is a condition in which there is difficulty in emptying the bowels, usually associated with hardened faeces.It also acts as a diuretic that can help stimulate bowel movement. A small piece of jaggery after lunch could kick-start digestion, which is key to good overall health.
2. Detoxes the liver: Jaggery is a natural body cleanser, further reducing the workload of the liver. Jaggery helps cleanse the liver by flushing out harmful toxins from the body, which further helps detoxify the liver. So if you want to effectively detox your body, bite into a piece of jaggery.
3. Treats flu-like symptoms: Fight symptoms of a cold and cough with the help of gur. All you need to do is mix it with warm water and drink up, or even add it in your tea instead of sugar to reap the benefits. Jaggery produces heat in the body, which is why generally people consume it in winters. The warming effect in jaggery makes it an amazing sweet that can treat cold and flu.
4. Blood purifier: One of the most well-known benefits of jaggery is its ability to purify the blood. When consumed on a regular basis and in limited quantities, it cleanses the blood, leaving your body healthy. Clean blood will mean a healthier body and will ensure that it is free from any disease.
5. Boosts immunity: Jaggery is loaded with antioxidants and minerals such as zinc and selenium, which in turn help prevent free-radical damage and also boost resistance against infections. Jaggery also helps increase the total count of haemoglobin in the blood.